Saturday, July 16, 2005

Thursday Evening Prayer Service

I couldn't get to this two nights ago. It was the antiphon that caught me; a sentiment I normally associate with Advent. And it just took me away from there....

O God, come to my assistance, make haste to help me. Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

ANTIPHON
(Ordinary): Keep alert, for you do not know when
the time will come.

PSALM 140 (139)

Rescue me, Lord, from the wicked, save me from the violent
They spawn evil in their hearts, starting fights every day.
Their tongues strike like a serpent, their lips hide deadly venom.
Free me, Lord, from their evil, save me from the violent
who plot my downfall.

The arrogant hide their traps,
and set their snares for me, tangling my. path with nets.
But you, Lord, are my God. Listen! I plead with you.
Be the fort that saves me, Lord, my helmet when the battle comes.

Do not side with the wicked, do not let their plots succeed or they will prevail.
They connive to entrap me, let them drown in their venom!

Heap hot coals upon them, plunge them into the deep, never to rise again.
Let liars find no place to rest, let evil stalk the violent and drive them to their ruin.

I know how the Lord acts, judging for the weak, vindicating the poor.
The just honor your name, the innocent live in your sight.

PSALM 62 (61)

My soul waits, silent for God, for God alone, my salvation, alone my rock, my safety, my refuge: I stand secure.
How long will some of you attack tearing others down
as if walls or fences
on the verge of collapse?
You scheme to topple them,
so smug in your lies;
your lips are all blessing,
but murder fills your heart.
Wait, my soul, silent for God,
for God alone, my hope,
alone my rock, my safety,
my refuge: I stand secure.
God is my glory and safety,
my stronghold, my haven.
People, give your hearts to God, trust always! God is our haven.
Mortals are but a breath,
nothing more than a mirage;
set them on the scales,
they prove lighter than mist.
Avoid extortion and fraud,
the hopes the~eed are nothing;
and if you should grow rich,
place no trust in wealth.
TIme and again God said, .Strength and love are mine to give." The Lord repays us all
in light of what we do.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.


(Ordinary): Keep alert, for you do not know when
the time will come.

READING So those who welcomed his message were baptized. They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching in fellowship, to the breaking of bread and the prayers.
Awe came upon everyone, because many wonders and signs were being done by the apostles. All who believed were together and had all things in common. They would sell their possessions and goods and distribute the proceeds to all, as any had need. Day by day, they spent much time together in the temple, broke bread at home and ate their food with glad and generous hearts, praising God and having the good
will of all the people. And day by day the Lord added to their number those who were being saved.

(silent reflection)

MAGNIFICAT ANTIPHON
(Ordinary): May the God of peace make you perfect
and holy.

MAGNIFICAT

I acclaim the greatness of the Lord, I delight in God my Savior,
who regarded my humble state. Truly from this day on
all ages will call me blest.
For God, wonderful in power, has used that strength for me. Holy the name of the Lord!
whose mercy embraces the faithful, one generation to the next.
The mighty arm of God scatters the proud in their conceit, pulls tyrants from their thrones, and raises up the humble.
The Lord fills the starving and lets the rich go hungry.

God rescues lowly Israel, recalling the promise of mercy, the promise made to our ancestors, to Abraham's heirs for ever.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.

(Repeat Magnificat antiphon)

INTERCESSIONS

Our Father. . . .
Generous God, help us to live in unity and generosity. May our possessions not dominate our lives. May we rejoice when needing little and be humbled by our weakness when wanting more. Gather all people together into you, our triune God, forever and ever. Amen.

May God bless us, deliver us from all evil, and bring us to everlasting life. Amen.
Let us bless God! and give thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment